Faith is an Action Word

I believe that anything in life can be achieved with just a little bit of enthusiasm. Dedication is the start but smiling is what gets you through. Technically happiness is a state of being, but personally, I think of it as a goal. Everyday I set the goal to be happy. Some days I fail; other days I over achieve. Subsequently I start off my day the same... With a smile on my face having the faith that my day will be better than the one before.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Tracting=Zucchini Bread

The most iconic thing missionaries are known for is door knocking. Aka "Tracting."  This phrase comes from the idea that as Elders and Sisters were out and about they would share tracts or what we know today to be pamphlets or cards.  These tracts would have religious literature that would help the reader understand more of what we believe.  This activity is still used today even after a little less than 200 years, but now times are changing and we have learned that this is not as successful as it used to be.  Missionaries are highly encouraged to talk to members and use online sources to share the gospel via social media.  Although many will say this is ineffective I am here to say miracles happen everyday because of tracting..  

Yesterday I was on exchanges with a STL (Sister Training Leader).  Sister Rix and I wanted to reach our goal of 10 OYM's (Open Your Mouth).  As we went door to door the usual interaction was given with the "I'm not interested" or "We are busy."  We were at 9 OYM's and so we needed one more.  We knocked and an elderly woman answered.  She had a distinct accent and thought we were Jehovah Witnesses.  We quickly cleared that up and began to tell her that we share a message about Jesus Christ.  With a odd look she said "Are you Mormons?"  We smiled and nodded.  She then began to tell us that she has a couple dear friends that are Mormon.  The conversation grew and laughs were shared.  We discussed the importance of respecting everyone's faith and how we are all praying to God.  No matter what he loves all of us.  She told us she was baking and that we could come back at a better time.  Before leaving she ran into the kitchen to grab us two loaves of zucchini bread and a couple of water bottles.  We were so incredibly grateful.  

So even though less and less people are listening when we are standing at their door step I know that all that rejection is worth it to find the one.  The person that would have not found the gospel any other way.  In this case it was the woman who makes delicious zucchini bread. There are many stories just like this one that have happened through out history.  Those that first went tracting and the missionaries that are now can share that common experience. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your post it is one of my favorite! Every time I think or eat zucchini bread I will think of you tracking and being invited in by this sweet lady! Love and hugs mom

    ReplyDelete