Faith is an Action Word

I believe that anything in life can be achieved with just a little bit of enthusiasm. Dedication is the start but smiling is what gets you through. Technically happiness is a state of being, but personally, I think of it as a goal. Everyday I set the goal to be happy. Some days I fail; other days I over achieve. Subsequently I start off my day the same... With a smile on my face having the faith that my day will be better than the one before.

Saturday, January 4, 2014

White VS Wheat bread

Most of us have been there.  We have been asked to give a speech, talk or presentation on the topic of our choice. Our minds instantly go blank and we start sorting.  Being a new face to the Mount Scott Ward my companions and I were asked to give a talks in church.  I wanted to talk about something that would pertain to everyone.  I thought of different themes like virtue, the Book of Mormon, then repentance. All are wonderful topics that I could defiantly learn more about but they just did not feel right.   Finally I thought of something that we all do.  My heart settled on asking questions and receiving answers to prayer.  
I first thought of all the experiences I have had pertaining with this simple communication with god.  I pondered on how much prayer has guided me in my life and how grateful I am for Heavenly Fathers help.  Although how can I help the amazing members of Mount Scott understand more fully the power of prayer.  

In Matthew Chapter 7 is reads: 
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 
This iconic scripture is a promise that we will receive answers to our prayers but we must first seek for the answer.  Faith is an action word.  We must show our faith by really trying to search for the desires of our heart.   This scripture was perfect for my talk.  After reading it I had a prompting to continue on.
Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?  
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
My heart was full of gratitude for the gifts that God has given me.  In verse 9 it talks about how if we ask for bread he will never give us a stone.  Bread and stone are two different things.  But what if I ask specifically for white bread?  I want my wonder bread! It fills me up and gives me energy.  It also tastes really good.  Instead, Heavenly Father gives me wheat bread.  He knows that in the long run it gives me more energy, is healthier for my body and will fill me up faster,  It also has less sugar and is more whole some for my body.  He always will give the BEST gifts.  The talents, abilities, trials, and answers that are going to help us grow into the person he wants us to be.

I know that the answers to our prayers are not always what we want them to be but they will always bring us closer to our goal of becoming more like Christ.  Prayers are answered because I finished my talk without fainting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment